Sunday, November 23, 2014

Are Your Headphones On?

I like this song. It reminds me of the tendency we have to close our eyes to the needs of the world around us, or even close our eyes to our own personal needs. We can be so busy, distracted, or entertained that we leave ourselves starving for the things we really need - love and purpose, which can only be fully satisfied through a relationship with Jesus. And the purpose He gives us is to love others without hesitation.

Headphones by Jars of Clay

I don't have to hear it, if I don't want to
I can drown this out, pull the curtains down on you
It's a heavy world, it's too much for me to care
If I close my eyes, it's not there

With my headphones on, with my headphones on
With my headphones on, with my headphones on

We watch television...but the sound is something else
Just a song played against the drama, so the hurt is never felt
I take in the war-fires, and I'm chilled by the current events
It's so hopeless, but there's a pop song in my

Headphones on, in my headphones on
With my headphones on, with my headphones on

At the Tube Stop, you sit down across from me
(I can see you looking back at me)
I think I know you
By the sad eyes that I see
I want to tell you (It's a heavy world)
Everything will be okay
You wouldn't hear it (I don't want to have to hear it)
So we go our separate ways...

With our headphones on, with our headphones on
With our headphones on, with our headphones on
I don't wanna be the one who tries to figure it out
I don't need another reason I should care about you
You don't want to know my story
You don't want to own my pain
Living in a heavy, heavy world
And there's a pop song in my head
I don't want to have to hear it



You need to reach outside of yourself and your insecurities into the pain of another, but you will have to remove your headphones to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard this song, but the lyrics are a lot like me. I don't like conflict. I'd rather go on thinking everyone's lives were as blessed as mine. I am constantly having to work on getting outside my comfort zone to minister in places were I feel insecure about ministering. Such good lyrics. :)

    ReplyDelete