Monday, April 21, 2014

Mormons, JWs and Catholics

 It has come to my attention that many of the views I have expressed in this post are in err. I have left it in its entirety only with the intention that others may gain from my original thought process and then the rebuttal

It has also been brought to my attention that I am discourteous in bunching Catholics along with Mormons and JWs. I "recant" this action of mine.  
 
 I suspect that the content of this post will be very controversial. I am bordering the fringes of our comfortable conservative theology. My intent is to simply write down some thoughts I have had recently. I am mostly drawing from an experience where I conversed with a Mormon about my faith.

Obviously, my intent was to communicate to him the message of the gospel. I was asking him about himself and found that he was pretty devout in his Mormonism. He had done the two year missionary outreach thing that the Mormons encourage and had a fiance that was also a Mormon. He was a very personable fellow and he had a background in farming, an area of common ground between us. As I proceeded (clumsily) with the gospel message, he nodded his head the entire time and communicated that he believed everything I was saying. Now, some might think I presented a watered down gospel, but I was sure to emphasize the sufficiency of Christ's sacrifice and the futility of our offering good works for our salvation, which I knew was one of the errors of Mormonism.

After seeing him agreeing with me I couldn't put it together in my head. I was reeling for something that would enable him to see that he did not agree with me so that he would see that he had to make a choice. So, I went over it again. Jesus' sacrifice is the only thing that can put us in a right standing with God. Works do nothing for our eternal salvation. He agreed again! I was sure to spell out what I meant by "repentance", "faith", etc. because I know they like to use different definitions. I preceded to present this concept yet a third time. He assured me that he understood and agreed. I was floored. What could I say to help him understand that he did not have an accurate view of the gospel even though he insisted that he did? What does this mean for my perception of Mormons or at least this fellow?

Now, just to be completely clear, I am not trying to say that Mormons are part of the family of faith. Nor am I trying to imply that the young man I talked with was truly a believer. At the same time, I do not think that saving faith is only found in our evangelical circles. I believe that there are JWs, Mormons and Catholics who have a real saving knowledge of the gospel. I am aware of small factions of Catholics that have a real gospel preached to them. I am just trying to find the most persuasive way to present the gospel to someone who claims to be a Christian because I do not know his state before God.

These are my thoughts at the moment. Looking back on that experience, I feel like I might have had a more solid message, a more persuasive approach, if I approached him from the perspective of being brothers in Christ. And instead of telling him what he supposedly already knows, as if it was something he had not attained, if I exhorted him to simply trust in Christ and live in repentance daily.

This would have turned his mind in the same direction as the former method without alienating him from myself as a messenger of the gospel.

Perhaps I am wrong in thinking this would be a better method, I know I am given to men-pleasing tendencies and this idea might flow out of a desire to not offend anyone and to stay on their good side.

Now for a very controversial quote from our favorite author, C.S. Lewis,


"There are people in other religions who are being led by God’s secret influence to concentrate on those parts of their religion which are in agreement with Christianity, and who thus belong to Christ without knowing it. For example, a Buddhist of good will may be led to concentrate more and more on the Buddhist teaching about mercy and to leave in the background (though he might still say he believed) the Buddhist teaching on certain other points. Many of the good Pagans long before Christ’s birth may have been in this position. And always, of course, there are a great many people who are just confused in mind and have a lot of inconsistent beliefs all jumbled up together. Consequently, it is not much use trying to make judgments about Christians and non-Christians in the mass." 
 - Mere Christianity [Ch. 10, 209]

C.S. Lewis has been scorned a lot for this statement and I don't know that I agree 100%. It just seems to me that in a religion where the Bible is used (among other literature), that some people will inevitably be saved through the reading of the Word.

Think about Abraham. He was an idolater (Joshua 24:2) who God called to himself out of his idolatry. In his story, we do not see a human means by which God told Abraham (then Abram) the way of true worship. He simple revealed his plan to him. It reminds me of my time in Chad, where I heard of Muslims having dreams that led them to Jesus.

Why do we think people have to be on our side of every issue before they are saved? If we had to embrace even just one facet of the gospel in the fullest sense using our human strength, we could not.

I would really like to hear some input from others about this. I know it is controversial and honestly I don't care to get into a debate about what cults believe and whether they can be saved while still practicing their cultish rites. I mostly want to hear other methods and ideas you might have for cases like these and an opinion on my idea.

Thank you for reading.

Elliott

This is just a side note, but I feel such a freedom to write these "strange" thoughts now that I have dealt with my idolatry of pursuit of marriage. Before, I would be far too worried about other people's opinions of me, always trying to look like I am "normal" so that crazy things like this wouldn't get in the way of relationships.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Elliott,

    Have you run these thoughts past any church leadership in your life? That's the best place to get input. From my understanding, it is true that God calls His people out of all kinds of messed up backgrounds, but if they are true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, they won't continue in their old ways. They'll eventually depart from their false worship and false beliefs and become more and more reformed by the word of God. I'm not very knowledgeable about Mormonism or Jehovah's Witnesses, but I have been told that both groups are very skilled at using orthodox Christian terminology while subtly changing the meanings of the words. I would be careful not to give them an equal footing in any discussions, no matter how much it seems the "nice" thing to do. We are called to "contend earnestly for the faith" (Jude 3) and false teachers often need to be "rebuked sharply," though we still need to exercise humility.

    I'm sure my pastor could give you a pretty helpful response if you sent him a message on Facebook. He is well-versed in dealing with those kinds of situations. If you decide to ask him, tell him I sent you. :-) His name is Tim Price.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan,

    Good thoughts. I think I will message your pastor. I agree that when someone is converted they will begin to follow after the truth and forsake their old ways. I am not at all trying to say that there are converted Mormons or JWs living contentedly in their false religion. Thank you for the input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elliott, how much exposure have you had to the teachings of Catholicism, as expressed by an educated and informed Catholic? How much do you really know - based on the teachings of that church - about other Christian denominations? It seems that you have strong opinions about what you view as "false" religions, but little or no basis for those opinions.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally, Thank you for the comment. You are correct that I have not immersed myself in Catholic doctrine. I have only spoken with a few Catholics about spiritual matters and none of them were scholars of their religion. I have lumped them together with Mormons because both Catholics and Mormons use the Bible, but rely heavily upon man-made documents that they consider to be inspired.

    I recognize that it is a bit extreme in the current societal/political climate to call them a false religion, but I am ignorant to the the reason why they are not considered false seeing as they distort biblical truth with their traditions. Perhaps I have a bad definition for the term "false religion".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elliott, the Bible itself is a man-made document considered to be inspired. In any case, sola scriptura as a concept is not Biblical - the Bible itself says so (Ephesians 4). If your view is different, I would be interested to know where in the Bible you believe the concept of sola scriptura is clearly written.

    The Roman Catholic Church (which, along with Eastern Orthodoxy is the oldest of the Christian denominations) is Biblically-based in every sense of that term. See, e.g., this piece on the concept of sola scriptura and Catholicism:

    https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=7185

    Whether or not you agree with the views of another Christian denomination (and yes, Catholic are Christians - they are the original Christians), it seems arrogant to refer to it as "false." Who are we, mere humans, to pronounce what is "false" and not vis-a-vis Biblical interpretation and understanding?

    Peace,
    Sally



    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally,

    I will leave the doctrine of sola scriptura to greater minds that have argued it for centuries.

    I do see your point made in the last paragraph of your comment and feel that I was hasty in putting Catholics in the same category of Mormons and JWs. I apologize for this. I have to acknowledge that, even in my own personal life, I do not treat Catholicism as a false religion on par with Mormonism. I will cite the fact that I listen to Catholic musicians who identify with the CCM movement.

    I see that much of my post is based out ignorance and I will be all the better because you brought it to my attention.

    Thank you and God bless,

    Elliott

    ReplyDelete